Labake commented on my previous post, “Dear white people, stop killing us”. She expressed her frustration on how tired and helpless we feel right now. I felt that to my core, so I decided to send out some encouragement to everyone who is feeling this way. Irrespective of your race and current frustrations, let’s remember that we have the ultimate helper, Jesus. So we don’t have to suffer alone. For my Christian friends, here are 6 prayers to pray, especially now.
1. Pray for God’s love to penetrate our hearts… Everyone; black people, non-racist whites, racist whites, other races… really everyone needs to be filled with God’s genuine love.
2. Pray for peace to reign… Everyone is angry right now, and some are acting (rationally and irrationally) in their anger. Things can go south real quick if God does not intervene. So pray for God’s peace to reign, especially now, and that God will replace fear in our hearts with His peace.
Phillipians 4:6-7 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
3. Pray that God will heal our land… of hurt, anger, hate, and anything that is not of God. And he will give us the grace to love on every single human irrespective of their race.
4. Pray for comfort for those who have lost their loved ones. These deaths are more than a hashtag, and real people are mourning and deeply hurting.
5. Pray for wisdom for our leaders… to lead the country right, to handle situations correctly, to take actions that will discourage racism, and for loopholes in the broken system to be fixed.
6. Pray for an end to racism… that God will do His thing and work in the hearts of people, God will give wisdom for peaceful and effective protests, that leaders of every race will stand up against racism, and correct laws will be put in place to discourage racism.
We can be angry, we can speak up, we can take all sorts of action to combat racism, but let’s not forget to pray. Prayer works wonders. What prayers are you currently praying? Please add in the comments section.